In 2019, YOUNG will build a movement to defend and rebuild a fairer future for all young Australians by working together to end HECS theft, increase Newstart by $75 a week and fight for fair internships.
OUR AREAS OF WORK
CRITICAL FOR SHORT – MEDIUM TERM WINS FOR OUR ECONOMIC JUSTICE
This will enable us to block, revert and introduce policies for short-to-medium term wins for quality education, secure employment and affordable housing.
🏴 YOUNG LEADERSHIP
FOUNDATIONAL TO OUR POWER
We believe that every young Australian should be trained in civic engagement through learning how to campaign and organise for a fairer future. To do this we will train young people from diverse backgrounds to lead campaigns for economic justice in their community through residential retreats, one-off events and a structured 6-month program.
CRITICAL FOR LONG TERM WINS AND STRUCTURAL CHANGE TOWARDS OUR FAIRER FUTURE
We need to take seats in local, state and federal Parliament to create long-term change for our economic justice.
PROPOSED CAMPAIGNS 2019
- Fight for $75 | Raise Newstart rate by $75 a week | Newstart should give young people a leg up to step into meaningful employment yet it’s driving them to make impossible choices between health, food, bills and meals. Raising the rate by $75 a week would give 200 000 Young Australians a better chance to find a liveable home, feed themselves and pay the bills while they are working hard to land a job.
- End HECS Theft | Stop the increase to university fees. Anchor HECS repayment threshold to median wage. Unfreeze commonwealth supported places. Uncap HECS roof.
- Delete The Debt | Automatically wipe all student debts from the failed VET-HECS scheme
- What’s With The System | Federal review on internships and vocational education
- Fight For Fair Internships